Dear Harrisburg School Community,
An opportunity is ahead of us to make use of federal funds to benefit our students and school community. The funds will allow us to expand efforts already underway in our state and district, such as:
- Addressing unfinished learning through asset-based acceleration strategies
- Prioritizing health, safety, wellness, and connections for all communities
- Strengthening high-quality, culturally-sustaining and revitalizing instruction, leadership, and pathways to graduation and post-secondary transitions.
About the funding: On March 11, 2021, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021. The ARP Act includes nearly $122 billion for the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) Fund. The Oregon Department of Education was allocated $1.121 billion. 90% of this amount ($1,008,925,861) will go to districts using the Title I formula. Our state’s application for this funding was submitted on June 7, 2021, but is not yet approved. ODE will inform us if and when it is approved giving us guidance on or before June 18, 2021.
What this means for our district: The Title I formula for our district will result in $1,658,278.57 of funding. Here is what you need to know about how that funding be used:
- ●We will use our Student Investment plan of action coupled with the school district strategic plan. Addressing the needs of our students who have unfinished learning; Prioritizing health, safety and wellness for all students and staff; Strengthening high quality, culturally-sustaining and revitalizing instruction, leadership and pathways to graduation and post-secondary transitions.
- ●The district leadership team will meet during August as well as a staff cadre to provide input and direction. We will use school board meetings to discuss thoughts and ideas with a final decision made at the September school board meeting.
- ● The district will use google survey or Thought Exchange to generate thoughts and ideas from the staff, students and community. The district will organize in person meetings with parent groups. All feedback will be processed through the district leadership cadre and school board.
Provide your input: In order to ensure that funding coming to our district meets our current needs, we are planning to present the power point at our July board meeting, August 18 to all licensed staff and an evening community meeting on August 24, 2021. You can hear more about the timeline ahead, equity investment framework, resources available, funding breakdown, and application highlights on Tuesday, August 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the high school. You are also welcome to reach out anytime with questions and comments by calling Superintendent Bryan Starr at 541-995-6626 or email email@example.com.
The application is just the starting point, so expect changes and evolution as this process extends through 2024. We look forward to seizing this opportunity for Harrisburg School District.